Assistance League Logo

Assistance League of Ventura County

"A Brighter Tomorrow for Today's Children"

National Site Contact UsEventsFacebook
StarHome Page
StarOur History
StarBoard of Directors
StarFinancials
StarGirls Club/Teen Club
StarAssistance League School
StarB.U.F.F.Y. Bear
StarOperation School Bell®
StarPast Events
StarBargain Box Thrift Shop
StarLas Patronas Auxiliary
StarNancy R. Brandt Auxiliary
StarAssisteens® Auxiliary
StarChapter Calendar
StarContact Us
StarMembership
StarDonate
StarPrivacy Policy
StarBylaws and Standing Rules
StarSocial Media Policy
StarPublic Relations
StarCommunity News
StarChapter Newsletter

Our History

1946 - Founded
The chapters founding organization was known as the Women's Progressive League. The League was affiliated as a chapter of National Assistance League in 1950.

1954 - Girls Club/Teen Club
Girls Club offers a variety of creative activities for girls from ages six to twelve. Teen Club is geared for pre-teen girls and teenagers. The after school and summer programs are designed to develop academic achievement, self-confidence, and self- respect and to provide enrichment and supervision.

1956 - Bargain Box
Bargain Box was originally located in Oxnard, California. The upscale/resale shop moved to its present location, 1975 East Main Street, Ventura, California, in 1990.

1957 - Twelve O'Clockers Auxiliary
Members staffed the Bargain Box four days a month and provided birthday cakes for the girls attending Girls Club/Teen Club. In addition, proceeds from the organization's annual Authors Luncheon benefitted chapter programs. The Auxiliary was dissolved in 2009.

1960 - Assistance League School
The chapter assumed financial control and management of the school in 1960. Professionally staffed by the organization and accredited by the State of California, the school provides special educational programs and therapy for preschool children with developmental delays.

1962 - Las Patronas Auxiliary
Originally founded in December, 1958, when the first Debutant Presentation Ball was held, Las Patronas officially became an auxiliary in 1962.

1964 - Academic Scholarship Program
An Academic Scholarship program was created by the Elliot Family Trust to benefit eligible students who transfer to a 4-year college.

1989 - B.U.F.F.Y. Bear
Cuddly bears with the B.U.F.F.Y. message, Bears Understand Friends, Feelings and You are distributed to comfort and reassure children experiencing traumatic situations.

1989 - Nancy R. Brandt Auxiliary
Certified in 1990, meetings are held in the evenings. The organization's fundraising events support chapter philanthropic programs.

1993 - Operation School Bell®
Operation School Bell provides new school clothing, shoes, jackets, undergarments, and personal grooming kits to disadvantaged children in the Oxnard, Hueneme, Ocean View and Ventura school districts. The program has successfully strengthened the self-confidence, school attendance and scholastic achievement of participating students.

2001 - Assault Survivor Kits®
Nancy R. Brandt Auxiliary expanded its philanthropic efforts to include the distribution of Assault Survivor Kits. Victims of rape and abuse are given emergency clothing and personal supplies.

2010 - Assisteens® Auxiliary
Membership is open to young men and women entering 7th through 12th grades. Members are responsible for a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer service annually. Meetings are held monthly from September to May.

2010 - 60th anniversary of community service in Ventura County.

2012 - Teens Helping Teens
Established in 2012 in collaboration with the Homeless and Foster Youth Family Liaison with Student Support Services for the Ventura Unified School District, Teens Helping Teens provides homeless teens and teens in foster care with hygiene items, food gift cards, articles of clothing and sleeping bags.

For more information on any of our programs, please refer to the appropriate link.

Return to Top of Page

National Site Contact Us

Website hosted by Mitec Solutions.