Assistance League of Ventura County

Assistance League School

Donation Goal For This Project is $300,000
63% Donated/$110,333 To Go
Donate Now

The school provides activities for the development of language skills, cognitive growth, fine and gross motor skills and adaptive behavior to preschool children with learning delays.

Located in Oxnard, California, Assistance League School is a certified special education preschool and kindergarten program for 3 to 6 year olds that provides educational and therapeutic intervention to children with special needs. The school is specifically designed to serve children whose primary area of concern is the lack of age appropriate communication skills.

The school promotes growth and development through a therapeutic multi-disciplinary approach. Three main centers, staffed by Special Education teachers, Speech/Language Pathologists and support staff, offer a diverse and intensive learning experience designed to meet the individual needs of each child.

Established in 1960 to provide educational services to an unserved population of children with special needs, the school has been certified since 1981 by the Nonpublic Schools Division of the California State Department of Education. Owned and operated by Assistance League, students are referred by four local school districts, Hueneme, Ocean View, Oxnard and Rio.

The school utilizes the California state curriculum to develop an individualized education plan for each student that will facilitate self-esteem, fine motor skills, cognitive learning, speech and language acquisition and sensory motor perception in a small, supportive environment. Typically, the school serves between 50 and 54 students.

It is the goal of the Assistance League School to help each student reach his or her potential for integration and success prior to enrollment in the first grade. Seventy (70%) of the children successfully make the transition to general education classes while the other 30%, who have more severe disabilities, transition to special day classes.

The gift of early intervention is difficult, if not impossible, to assess. However, based on the overwhelming number of letters and comments received from grateful parents, it is clear that the work done at the Assistance League School has life-long implications on the development and progress of every child who attends the school. The teachers and other professionals at the school work actively and effectively to prepare children to integrate into first grade classrooms and the communities in which they live.

June is an exciting time of the year for families and students at Assistance League School. Cameras and smart phones are busy snapping pictures of the graduation celebration as teachers praise students for their hard work and academic accomplishments. The graduating five and six year olds have been working hard to improve their speech and language skills, fine motor skills, academic readiness skills and social and emotional skills.

Some of the graduates have attended the school since they were three years old. They have been challenged with their special educational needs to succeed in the academic world. With the guidance of the highly educated school staff, these students have learned strategies to help overcome their special needs.

A grateful parent of one of these students said it best. “The tremendous progress my child has made is due to the rigorous academic and occupational therapy schedule at the Assistance League School with speech therapy as the core component of their curriculum. My child has made this growth due to the diligence, professionalism and consistency of the teachers at the school. My child’s confidence has skyrocketed and is now the most talkative member of our family!”

Assistance League School
1310 Fremont Way
Oxnard, CA 93030
805-485- 0068